Signal Tower, Shore, Leith, Edinburgh. Built 1685-86 as a windmill, converted c.1800 into a tenement of flats. Tercentenary restoration and upgrading for the joint owners, 1985-86. Signal Tower, Shore, Leith, Edinburgh. External restoration, structural strengthening and internal rehabilitation of the famous Leith landmark. The Signal Tower was built 1685–86 as a windmill by Robert Mylne, member of a leading family of Scottish master masons. The structure was converted into a watchtower at the time of the Napoleonic Wars and subsequently extended to form a tenement of flats. Its restoration in 1985–86 coincided with the Tercentenary of its original construction.
Lawnmarket, Old Town, Edinburgh. External restoration and internal rehabilitation of a group of three adjoining tenements for the joint owners. Dating from the 17th century, these buildings were partially rebuilt and extensively remodelled in the early-1890s by Patrick Geddes.
Recognition: Opened February 1991 by Lord James Douglas-Hamilton, MP, Scottish Office Minister for Home Affairs and the Environment, and Mrs Eleanor McLaughlin, Lord Provost of Edinburgh.
St Mary's Street, Old Town, Edinburgh. External restoration and internal rehabilitation of a pair of adjoining tenements for the joint owners. Part of a comprehensive scheme of urban regeneration for the street and its surrounding area.
Recognition: Opened April 1985 by Dr John McKay, Lord Provost of Edinburgh; Certificate of Merit, The National Home Improvement Council 1985; and the Edinburgh Architectural Association Awards 1987.
Sciennes Hill House, Newington, Edinburgh. The works included the restoration of the palazzo facade at the courtyard elevation and the reinstatement of missing stone detailing at the parapet balustrade – including the hand-carved fruit bowls. The house was built as a freestanding villa and dates from 1741. It was famous as the home of Professor Adam Fergusson, philosopher and historian of the Scottish Enlightenment, and the meeting place in the winter of 1786–87 of Sir Walter Scott and Robert Burns. By the late 19th century the house had been amalgamated into a terrace of tenements. Alterations at that time prejudiced the design integrity of the palazzo facade and the restoration works reversed these.