Melrose Station, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders; grade A listed. Described at the time of its opening in February 1849 as ‘The handsomest provincial station in Scotland’. The Edinburgh to Carlisle ‘Waverley Route’ was closed in 1969, whereupon the station building fell rapidly into ruin. Acquired by Dennis Rodwell in 1985, the former station and neighbouring former garage premises were restored and converted into a mixed use commercial development and managed as such until 2003.
Recognition: Opened July 1986 by the Rt Hon Malcolm Rifkind QC MP, Secretary of State for Scotland; The RICS/The Times Conservation Awards ‘Conserving the Industrial Heritage’ 1989; First Class Award, the Ian Allan Railway Heritage Awards 1989; The Sunday Times Scotland/ Morton Fraser Milligan Heritage Awards ‘The most sympathetic conversion and restoration of a listed building’ 1990; and Borders Regional Council Architectural Awards 1990.